The video, filmed in 1999, showcases Microsoft’s vision for smart homes of the future at the end of the last century.
Many of the concepts shown in the video have been realized today, including:
- Using an eye scanner to unlock the door when returning home from work.
- Displaying unexpected visitors outside the door via the television during mealtime.
- Using a “kitchen computer” to assist with cooking – such as a tablet or smart display like the Amazon Echo Show.
- Placing an order for groceries from an “online grocery store” via the kitchen PC.
- Controlling and adjusting smart home devices through voice commands or touch screen controls.
- Sending and receiving messages using a “PocketPC” running on Windows CE – a precursor to smartphones.
- Playing a piano connected to the home network and receiving notifications during favorite TV shows.
However, some of the envisioned technologies, such as the “network phone” with a large screen and internet connection, have never become popular.